For the training to be effective and successful, the owner should follow some simple steps before and during using the electronic dog training collar.
Before you start with the using the shock training collar you need to consider a few things. First, the electronic collar should only be used on the dog appropriate age and body weight. The dogs that will be trained must be healthy and in good condition. Also, before using the collar, the dog should understand basic verbal commands „Sit“, „Place“, „Come“, „Stay“, etc.
Steps for effectively using the electronics dog training collar
- Read instructions: Every model of training collar has specific properties and no unique using manual. If you have a previously experience with another model, you must go through the manufacturer’s instructions provided with the new collar. Clearly understand the different parts and application of the collar. Make sure all specified parts are included in the set.
- Checking the remote and the collar receiver together: Examine the remote and the receiver for the collar. Find out if they are working together properly. Some models of remote are intended for two collars and if you use just one collar, the channel button must be set on 1 (the one collar receiver is programmed by default on channel 1). Also, some models require the reprogramming before the first using. When you turn on the receiver, the indicator led will blink for 10 seconds. In this time you have to press a button on the remote.
Both the collar and the transmitter can use the different source of energy: battery or rechargeable battery. Install the battery in the devices or charge them at least 6 to 8 hours for the first charging.
Mount the receiver to the collar and your training collar is ready to use.
- Attach the collar to the neck of your dog: Correct wearing position helps healthy and effective dog training. The receiver should be placed on the bottom of dog’s neck, and the contact pins must be in directly contact with his skin. The dog may feel irritated if the collar is too tight. Also do not keep the collar too loose, as it may harm the dog’s skin by frequent rubbing and contact pins will not touch the skin. A spacing to hold a finger shall be maintained receiver collar and your dog’s skin.
Before actual training starts, make your dog acquainted with collar. Tie the collar every day for few hours and increase the duration gradually.
- Start training: At the initial point, start the training collar at the lowest stimulation level. Mark your dog’s reaction to the stimulus. If the dog is not responding to the slight effect, slowly increase the level of effect. Every time your dog is not obedient or not listening to your commands, first press the vibration (or tone) button on remote and then, if it is necessary, the button for electrostatic stimulation. So your dog learns that every time when collar vibrates (or when hear a beep) he knows that followed the electrostatic shock, thereby reacting to the vibration (sound) without the electrostatic stimulus. It is enough that when the dog is not obedient to use electrostatic stimulus, of course only after the vibration (or sound) and you will never have to use electrostatic stimulation. You must use electrostatic stimulant maximum 2-3 times. Keep in mind that around 50% of dogs never react to the vibration or sound.
- Interact with your dog during the training: Such as previously mentioned, the dog must be familiar with your voice commands before using training collar. So start giving the commands combined with the training collar stimulation. First give the basic verbal commands without the stimulation. Next, precede the command with the stimulation. The dog learns to react with short repetitive commands. It is very important that you reward your dog when he does something right.
- All right, what’s next?: Dogs are intelligent animals and try to indulge in their own curiosity if unleashed. To control its unacceptable behavior, use the transmitter without the dog’s knowledge. If it ignores the stimulation, then increase the level. Continue the training every day, until the dog stops its activities.
- Safety considerations: Do not use the collar for more than eight hours a day. Check the dog’s neck regularly for any sign of soreness and irritation. To avoid skin irritation, you can also change the collar location on the dog’s neck.
If the dog training is not done properly, then relationship bond between the owner and the dog may weaken. The dog may associate pain with human and become stressful. So follow the simple steps and let both you and your dog enjoy the training. Your dog is like your child and he doesn’t deserve the pain. Don’t forget, training collar must be used only for correction of the erroneous behavior of the dog. Never use it for mistreating dogs or other animals, shaking by electricity, etc. out of sheer arrogance or ignorance!!!